When you are brand new to the best programming language, then programming language models are not of very importance. But as you go up the stairs and start creating difficult programs and software.
This is important for understanding which programming language is best suited for your project. Before we start, this is important to know what exactly a procedural programming language is.
According to many cited definitions, a language is a set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that develops a method of viewing reality for the community that shares them, especially in programming development.
So in this article, we will discuss procedural programming language, with a special focus on the Procedural Programming model.
What Is Procedural Programming Language?
A procedural programming language is a kind of computer programming language that describes a set of well-structured steps and methods within its programming context to build a program.
This contains a regular order of statements, functions, and commands to complete a computational task or program. A procedural language is also understood as an imperative language.
A procedural programming language is a computer programming language that follows in order a set of commands. For an example of computer procedural programming language are Basic, C, Fortran, Java, and Pascal.
Procedural programming languages are some common types of programming languages that are used by script and software programmers.
They create use of functions, conditional statements, and variables for developing programs that enable a computer for calculating and display the desired output. So this is called a procedural programming language.
What is procedural programming used for?
The focus of procedural programming is to break down a programming language task into a set of variables. Data structures, and subroutines, whereas in object-oriented programming language this is to break down a programming task in objects that show behavior systems and data members or attributes using interfaces.
Utilizing a procedural language for developing a program may perform by using a programming editor, like Adobe Dreamweaver, Eclipse, or Microsoft Visual Studio. These software help users develop programming code using one or more procedural languages, test the code, and fix bugs in the code.
Procedural Programming Language Key Features
The key features of procedural programming are provided below
- Predefine function: A predefines function is typical of an instruction known by a name. Normally, the predefines function is developing in a higher-level programming language, but they are receiving from the library or the registry, rather than the program. An example of a predefines function is ‘charAt()’, which searches for a character position in a string.
- Local Variable: A local variable is a variable that is say in the main structure of a method and is limit to the local scope this is provides. The local variable can only be uses in the system this is defines, and if this is to be utilizes outside the defined method, the code will stop working.
- Global Variable: A global variable is a variable this is declares outside each different function defines in the code. Due to this, a global variable can uses in all functions, unlike a local variable.
- Modularity: Modularity is when two various systems have two different tasks at hand but are grouped together to conclude a larger task first. Each group of systems then would have its own tasks finished one after the other until all tasks are complete.
- Parameter Passing: Parameter Passing is a tool uses to pass a parameter for function, subroutine or method. Parameter Passing can be done through ‘pass by value’, ‘pass by reference’, ‘pass by result’, ‘pass by value-result’ and ‘pass by the name’.
Advantage of Procedural Programming Language
- Procedural Programming is great for general-purpose programming.
- The coded simplicity along with ease of implementation of compilers and interpreters.
- A huge difference of books and online course material available on tested algorithms, making this simpler for learning along the way.
- The source code is portable, therefore, that maybe uses for target various CPU as well.
- The code may reuse in various components of the program, without the requirement to copy this.
- Into the Procedural Programming technique, the memory requirement also slashes.
- The program flow can easily track.
The Disadvantage of Procedural Programming Language
- The program code is more difficult to write when Procedural Programming is employe.
- The Procedural code is usually not reusable, which may model necessary to recreate the code if this needs to use in another application.
- Hard to relate with real-world objects.
- The importance provides the operation rather than the data, which might pose a problem in some data-sensitive cases.
- The data is present to the whole program, making this not so much security friendly.
There are various types of programming model as we discussed before, which are nothing but a way of programming. This is important to recognize that the paradigm does not provide a specific language but to the way, the program is written. So let’s see a comparison between a procedural programming language and object programming language.
What Is Object-Oriented Programming Language
The object-oriented programming language introduces a kind of computer programming software design in which programmers determine the data type of a data structure, and also the types of operations functions that can be used to the data structure. OOP is an appearance to programming which understands life as we know.
This as a collection of objects, which work in tandem with each other to solve a particular problem at hand. The primary thing to understand about OOP is encapsulation, which is the idea that every object which holds the program is self-sustainable, which means that all the parts that make up the object are within the object itself.
In this process, the data structure becomes an object that includes both data and functions. In addition, programmers can build relationships between one object and another. For instance, objects can inherit characteristics from other objects.
Advantage of OOP
- OOP gives a clear modular structure for programs.
- This is great for describing the abstract data types.
- OOP implication detail is hidden from a different module and different module has a clear,y describe the interface.
- This is easy to maintain and modify existing code as a new object may create with small differences to the existing ones.
- This implements a real-life scenario.
- encapsulation, polymorphism, abstraction is also counting in this fundamentals of programming language.
Disadvantage of OOP
- Object-Oriented programs manage to be slower and utilize up a high amount of memory
- Programs created using this paradigm may take longer to be created.
- This needs more extra data protection.
- It Inability to work with existing systems.
- It has a larger program size.
- It’s not suitable for all types of issues -for smaller problems this is in common not suitable.
Procedural Programming vs Object-Oriented Programming Comparison
|This uses immutable data||This uses mutable data|
|It follows the declarative programming model||This follows the imperative programming model|
|Extends support for parallel programming||It’s not suitable for parallel programming|
|The execution order of statements is not the main focus||The execution order of statements is extremely important|
|Flow control is performed utilizing function calls||Flow control is give by conditional statement and loop|
|Utilizes recursion concept for iterate collective data||Utilizes loop concept for iterate collection data|
|No such side-effects of these functions||The method can have some side-effects|
|The focus in Procedural Programming is on What You are Doing||The focus in Object-Oriented Programming is on How You are Doing It|
This is another highly utilizes programming paradigm is Functional Programming. Functional Programming is a system that varies from both Procedural Programming and Object-Oriented Programming as this makes use of mathematical functions.
By this, the operation performs only on the base of the input that is enters, and they do not rely on temporary or hidden variables. In computer science, functional programming is a programming paradigm, and it’s a way of building the structure and components of computer programs.
This functional programming discusses the computation as the evaluation of mathematical functions and it avoids changing state and mutable data.
- Functional Programming allows a protected environment.
- While multiple other languages need a substantial amount of data in order to perform operations properly, function programming reduces the requirement for a huge amount of code required for define states.
- Since this paradigm is only dependent on the input arguments, there are no side-effects.
- Utilizing Functional programming only in commercial software development is not support and do.
- This needs a huge amount of memory and time.
- This can prove for being less efficient than other paradigms.
Q1. Why C is a Procedural Programming Language?
Ans- A C programming language is called a structured programming language because to solve the big issues, the C programming language divides the problem into smaller modules called functions or procedures each of which handles a particular responsibility. The application which solves the whole problem is a set of such functions. So that’s why we can say C is a procedural programming language.
Q2. Is Python a Procedural Programming Language?
Ans- Yes, Python supports both Object-Oriented programming language and Procedural Programming language as this is a high level programming language designed for general-purpose programming. Python is multi-paradigm you can write a program and library which is mostly procedural, object-oriented, or functional in all these languages.
Q3. Is OOP better than Procedural Programming Language?
Ans- Procedural programming does not have any proper method for hiding data. So this is less safe. And Object-oriented programming gives data hiding. So this is more secure. In procedural programming, the function is extra important than data. In object-oriented programming, data is extra important than function. Therefore, we can say OOP better than the Procedural programming language.
Q4. What are the limitations of Procedural Programming?
Ans- Here are a few limitations of Procedural Programming.
- Well, although procedural-oriented programs are very strong, they do have a few limitations.
- Perhap the very serious limitation is the tendency for a big procedural-base program for turn into “spaghetti code”.
- A final problem with spaghettification is that the code you write today will not help you write the code you have to write tomorrow.
- Procedural-base code is a sticky ability to continue doing cut and paste from one application to different. Thus, the procedural programmer usually finds themselve reinventing the wheel on each new project.
5.What is the Difference Between the Pascal and FORTRAN language?
Pascal Language : Pascal is the computer based language introduced by Niklaus Wirth in 1970.Pascal language is used to order the conditional and loop structures without any statements. It defines the data and organizes with the structural information which is beyond the level of other languages such as FORTRAN. It helps the programming system to introduce structural information before the program runs. In the 1980s it was a very famous language and it is available in all computers and it is probably used for program the softwares.
FORTRAN Language: FORTRAN is usually different from Pascal; it is used for intensive software programs at the level of science and engineering. It clears all the errors at advanced level and generates different binary codes. Introduced in 1957 by John Backus for making computers easier . It is coded as the machine language because it enables fast writing in computer programs. It is called a third generation language cored by engineers and Scientists.
6.Why Is the C language an Important Language as compared to the Others Like Pascal and FORTRAN ?
C language is the middle level language with the features of high and low level types of languages. It is a complex level language as Pascal allows to structure complex information and organize the data around the functions.
C languages are very different and sometimes very similar to the others. It treats lower and upper case very differently, it is used for many applications for scripting such as Windows and Linux systems.
It has very different algorithms for data switching, clearing the errors according to the programs allowed and provides some built- in functions for secure programming.
As we stated throughout this article, Procedural Programming is more of what you are doing than how you are doing this. This is the standard approach utilizes in various computer languages such as C, Pascal, and BASIC.
While there is no certain programming paradigm. This is important to know that the correct paradigm will always depend on the type of language you use and the program you wish to.
This advises that for maximum results and a powerful portfolio, one should have proficiency in all three major programming paradigm. So read this article and understand to learn procedural programming language.