Google launched a new latest Android 10 version on 3 September 2019. This latest Android version support high speed and great gaming performance. The Androids head 84.8% of market share and we all are aware of the journey from cell phone to a smartphone.
Nowadays mobiles are the inseparable part of personal and professional life and so as android. However, Android software gives an enormous number of features in a phone. That’s why Android smartphones are the first choice to buy.
Android software is part of most of the smartphones. It’s growing very fastly. Let’s know more about Android technology. Before that, we go through the meaning and definition of Android Technology.
Table of content
- Android Technology: Backbone of Smart Phones
- Latest Android Version: Android Pie
- Android History – Beginning of an Android Software
- Android Architecture: Architecture Components of Android
- All Android Version: A to Z
What Is Android Technology
Android is not a phone or nor an application. It’s a software that makes your phone smarter than the normal phone. Basically, Android is a mobile operating system based on Linux kernel and other open source software. It designed by Google, primarily used for touchscreen devices.
Moreover, let’s see the latest Android version
Latest Android Version: Android 10
Now, this time to new innovation of android so Google launched a new android version on 3 September 2019. It has no specific name version but we can say Android 10. Android includes many advanced features that make a smartphone. Android 10 version available in only some smartphones like Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy Fold, One Plus 7 and One Plus 7t Pro.
So let’s have look at some advanced features in the Android 10 version.
Android 10 Version Features
- Bubbles- If you still utilize facebook messenger chat heads features. Then this feature is best for your phone.
- Wi-Fi and QR codes- Android 10 has a new feature that lets you make a QR code for your Wi-Fi network or scan a QR code for joining a Wi-Fi network, directly in the device wifi
- Undo app removal- By android 10, you have some seconds after an app has been removed to undo
- Location control- With Android 10, you will get the choice of letting the app access your location data only while you are actively utilizing the app.
- Privacy settings- With Android 10, there is now a dedicated Privacy part in the settings app.
- Live caption- Currently, Live Caption is only available on the new Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL, but Google intends to bring this to more Pixel phones by the end of the year.
- Dark theme- There is a system-wide dark mode coming for Android 10 and it’s called Dark Theme. So far it’s insufficient for a few special menus and apps.
- Digital wellbeing- Within iOS 12 Apple included Screen Time to monitor device use, and Android 10 has its personal version called Digital Wellbeing. Digital Wellbeing provides you a variety of methods for managing your screen time in a healthy style.
- Smart reply- This is now accessible on Android 10, you can fast reply to texts or other messages without opening the app itself.
- Foldable support- Android 10 is planning for foldable mobiles in the future, according to the Android Developers Blog post. But Samsung launched a foldable smartphone this year. And this Android 10 version available in the Samsung Galaxy Fold smartphone.
Latest Android Version: Android Pie
Pie (Android 9.0) is the latest version of Android. However, Android 9 is first released as an alpha quality developer in March 2018. And then on 6 August is released in public.
Moreover, let’s have a look at highlighting feature of latest android version Android Pie
- Android 9 offers an Adaptive battery feature. So, it gives a better battery backup and maximizes battery power by emphasizing the app that mostly used by the user.
- A new user interface is developed for the quick settings menu.
- An additional option is added for Screenshot to the power options.
- Transitions are added for shifting between apps or other activities of the app.
- The volume slider is now located adjacent to the device’s physical volume button.
- Battery status will always be shown on the display.
- Improved night mode.
- Provides High-Efficiency Image File Format Support.
- Accessibility features (Hidden Under Feature Flags menu).
- Add-on of a gesture-based system similar to iPhone X and also in other devices.
- Shush feature- It automatically on the DND feature when the phone is placed face down. So, only notify the allowed contacts.
- Adaptive brightness feature- Modifies screen brightness according to personal preference.
- One more back button icon in the navigation bar if the gesture navigation is enabled.
- There is an indication button in the navigation bar for locked rotation mode.
- Multi-Camera Access- Access dual cameras.
- Concerns about Xbox One S wireless controller and provides controller mapping for this.
- Camera Intrinsic Calibrations.
- Wifi-RTT concerning indoor positioning.
However, all the features in the Pie android version are advance. Let’s see other devices using Android software.
3. Android History – Beginning of an Android Software
Android history belongs to the year 2008. So, the first commercial Android device was introduced in 2008. Since now android had gone through multiple major releases. The current version of Android is 9 “pie” released in August 2018.
HTC G1 mobile is the first device used Android operating system. That is 1.6 versions of Android also known as Donuts and support for both 2G and 3G. Furthermore, it has a screen resolution of 320 x 480 pixels with a density 180ppi, 528 MHZ processor, Adreno 130 graphics, A single-core, 130 graphics, 192 MB RAM (Random Access Memory) and 256 MB ROM.
Besides, Android software development completely supports Java programming language. And also it’s not getting support by API(An application program interface) and JSE(Java Standard Edition). Now, Let’s take a look on Android Architecture
4. Android Architecture: Architecture Components of Android
Android Architecture is a combination of different software. However, the layers are split into five sections and four layers? Here we have the Android architecture components
Furthermore, let’s describe each Android architecture components:-
4.1 Linux kernel
However, the bottom of an Android is the Linux Kernel. So, it supports a broad range of hardware. The kernel is the core of an operating system that manages input and output calls from the software.
Furthermore, Linux adds basic system operations like process management. This provides basic system functionalities like process management, memory and device management for example camera, keypad, display, etc.
Linux is good at networking and kernel handles everything in which Linux is good. Kernal does not interact directly with the user but interacts with the other shell, Hardware devices in the system and other programs.
Linux Kernal is the Bottom layer. Now it comes Libraries that comes on top of Linux Kernal. However, this is a set of libraries includes opensource web browser engine WebKit, well-known libc, SQLite database.
So on its a repository for storage and sharing of application data and play and record audio and video. Purposely for internet security SSL libraries are responsible.
4.3. Android Runtime
The Android Runtime provides the specially designed and optimized key component called Dalvik Virtual Machine. Besides, it is a Java virtual machine that runs apps in Android devices and process virtual machine in the operating system.
The Dalvik VM utilizes the Linux core feature like memory management and multi-threading that is also in Java language. It also enables every Android application to run its own process and executes the file in the .dex format.
4.4. Application Framework
An application framework provides the skeletal support also set of services that collaborate to create the system in which the android application run and controlled. Thus, this framework makes a fact that the Android application is created from the reusable, replaceable and interchangeable component.
Furthermore, the services combine in an application framework are:-
- Activity Manager- Manage and control lifecycle, activity stacks and other aspects of the application.
- Resource Manager − Gives access to non-code embedded resources. For example- user interface, strings, color settings, etc.
- View System − It is an extensible set of views applied to create application user interfaces.
- Content Providers – This enables applications to publish and share data with other applications.
- Notifications Manager − This makes the application to display alerts and notifications to the user.
Now, the last layer is Applications-
Hence you find all the applications at the top layer. You can write your application and install it at this layer. However, the application can be contacts, books, browsers, services, etc.
Furthermore, let’s have a look at all android version-
5. All Android Version: A to Z
All android versions are different from each other. However, the interesting thing in all android versions is that the developer coded them on the name of deserts. So, Let’s have a look at all versions of Android-
|Android Code||Android Version||Kernel-Version||Release Date|
|1.0||September 23, 2008|
|Petit Four||1.1||2.6||February 9, 2009|
|Cupcake||1.5||2.6.27||April 27, 2009|
|Donut||1.6||2.6.29||September 15, 2009|
|Eclair||2.0-2.1||2.6.29||October 26, 2009|
|Froyo||2.2-2.2.3||2.6.32||May 20, 2010|
|Gingerbread||2.3-2.3.7||2.6.35||December 6, 2010|
|Honeycomb||3.0-3.2.6||2.6.36||February 22, 2011|
|Ice Cream Sandwich||4.0-4.0.4||3.0.1||October 31, 2011|
|Jelly||4.1-4.3.1||3.0.31 to 3.4.39||July 9, 2012|
|KitKat||4.4-4.4.4||3.10||October 18, 2013|
|Lollipop||5.0-5.1.1||3.16||November 12, 2014|
|Marshmallow||6.0-6.0.1||3.18||October 5, 2015|
|Nougat||7.0-7.1.2||4.4||August 22, 2016|
|Oreo||8.0-8.1||4.10||August 21, 2017|
|Pie||9.0||4.4.107, 4.9.84, and 4.14.42||August 6, 2018|
|Android||10||September 3, 2019|
Above table has all the android version but few of them has a great life in the market. So here we have the list of top 10 android version those amaze users with there features.
Top 10 Android Version
Here we have a list of top 10 Android version those are popular.
- Ice Cream Sandwich
- Jelly Bean
- Android 10
That’s all in Android History
Android is already leading all the smartphones in the world and grabbing the tablet market too. It has a great journey to discuss. So, it is a little effort to make people aware of Android Technology.
I hope you like the article. Write your views in the comment section and share the content with others also.